Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Take My Yoke Upon You

What does it mean to you to have rest?
What do you need rest from?
What takes away from your ability to rest?
What kind of rest do you require?

These verses helped me to understand a little bit better the rest offered by the Savior.

Matt. 11:28-30
 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

There are a few church leaders and scholars who encourage followers of Christ to take 'literally' the Lord's invitation. It has been extended to everyone. Christ has shown us the way to receive rest, but it requires a little bit of action on our part.


Christ is inviting us to do three things in these verses:

  1. Come unto Him
  2. Take His yoke upon us
  3. Learn of Him.
Following these teachings leads to three promises:
  1. Give us rest
  2. Find rest unto our souls
  3. His yoke is easy and His burden is light
What does it mean to take upon the yoke of Christ? It is referring to a double yoke alongside Christ or a single yoke? Double yokes allow two individuals to pull more than they both could pull separately, single yokes allow for balance, larger loads, and it makes sense that the yoke would be broken in by Christ.

I think it is something worthy of a little bit of thought and personal contemplation. 

Living a life for Christ is infinitely easier that just living a Christ-like life. I have found that it does lead to rest and ease from the burdens that are ever present, not rest in the way we typically think of it.  If we take a look at the burdens that are weighing us down and keeping us from the rest that we need, are they worth it, do they help us become better or just make our life mediocre? If we are following Christ and taking upon His yoke our lives will never fall into that category. 



What does it mean to you to have rest?
What do you need rest from?
What takes away from your ability to rest?
What kind of rest do you require?


No comments:

Post a Comment